Indigenous Student Mobility Programme at UWA
2 – 12 July 2017, UWA
The second edition of the new, collaboratively developed, Matariki Indigenous Student Mobility Programme was held at the University of Western Australia and hosted by the School of Indigenous Studies.
The Programme was delivered through a mixture of classroom and field-based activities and aimed to:
- Facilitate an exchange of cultural knowledge between Indigenous communities and from across Indigenous contexts;
- Increase our understanding of those issues that impact on Indigenous communities through exposure to the local Aboriginal groups;
- Encourage and contribute to a growing body of research relevant to our changing world.
Specific objectives for this year’s Programme were:
- To produce a written research project on a topic relevant to an Indigenous community in the context of global citizenship;
- To showcase the history, culture and social and economic enterprise of local Indigenous communities; and
- To introduce students to local Aboriginal initiatives for self-determination.